The List ~ The Other List
in a perfect world i might link to counts of those slain since the dawn of time, willingly or no, in the name of god and, ideologically- or ecomonically-speaking, country... save that in a perfect world, i would be spared such a need.

SEE: imagine by john lennon

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Body Clock

so here's something interesting i've discovered about myself:

whilst home on leave--due, i can only imagine, to jet lag--i awoke every morning at exactly six of the clock, ante meridian (a.m.). working the figures quickly, what with the east coast being -5:00 greenwich mean time (gmt) and the middle east being +3:00 gmt, this means i was waking every day at two of the clock, post meridian (p.m.). this is decidedly later than the start of my day here in taji. so what does it mean? it means i'm genetically predisposed to rise in the early afternoon... which makes perfect sense given that my best undergraduate and graduate work had always been done between the hours of ten p.m. and three a.m.

now, if i could only find gainful employment that would accommodate such a schedule; or perhaps no employment at all is the answer?

hm. i'll have to sleep on that...

4 comments:

Rehan said...

When I went to Nebraska for a week (Central) I woke up every morning at 4 since I'm used to waking up here at 5. Man, was that ever annoying as hell.

I'm sure you still are better in the afternoon, but hey, at least you're still somewhat talkative in the early morning hours when I would come by and be like, "alright, let's go."

Nelms... said...

How about the sun? Those times should have roughly coincided with the beginning of civil twilight... Perhaps it is that your body, taken out of a normal routine, relied more on the recognition of sunlight to adjust your internal clock.

Unless you were sleeping in a windowless room, in which case, uh, why?

Unknown said...

Hey Nelms -- you got a problem with sleeping in a windowless room? I do it all the time. In fact, will do it tonight. Risks of the trade, I'm afraid.

Spanks -- the "no employment" options sounds pretty good to me these days. Just need to figure out a way of supporting myself. If only I got a modest stipend from the ancient family estate in Cumbria...

Simmons said...

i hate to break it to ya, brother...you are currently, indeed, so gainfully employed. oh, wait, you're an officer...nevermind. :-)~