July Fourth...
is a day for overt patriotism, celebrated through flag waving, decorative explosions (does anbody else see the irony in that we celebrate our nativity with devices invented by the nation that some would argue is our greatest rival, both militarily and economically?), and the indulgence to excess (ah! so american!) in staples such as processed tubular meats and apple pie.
i have of late, and wherefore i know not, found rather that my personal patriotism takes quite a different turn.
i find myself reflecting upon my oath as an officer in the armed forces, which i first took on July 1st, 1997:
"I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same, that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion, and the I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter, so help me God."
i have sworn this oath four times now, and each time i pause with greater gravity before speaking those words with ever greater weight.
i think we must all agree that the definition of foreign enemies is--generally--readily apparent, but what of domestic? what, exactly, constitutes a domestic enemy of our Constitution? i would argue that one who willfully makes an effort to circumvent its inherent system of checks and balances is just as guilty as any anarchist bent to o'erthrow its governance. how, then, should we react to the manipulation of congressional districts such that a 98% incumbant re-election rate is the norm, establishing an entrenched congressional body with little to no turnover? how should we react to that body polarizing itself between two extremes and baiting the populace with meaningless motions meant only to discredit the opposing faction, and which fail to address the true ills that plague our nation? our political parties have fashioned the chambers of congress into modern-day coliseums better suited to the antics of the gridiron and the theatrics of professional wrestling than to discourse and legislation. how should we react to a member of the executive branch that denies his membership, and instead aligns himself with the legislative... but only when it serves his or her personal agenda? how should we react to the head of the executive branch knowingly upsetting the delicate balance of the judicial, or employing the presidential signing statement--a document that in no uncertain terms states that the laws of our nation do not, in fact, apply to him--to circumvent the very document that affords him his privileges?
should we be merely insulted that our intelligence is so discounted, or deeply troubled? our Constitution was crafted as a living document, and we as a people must keep it so lest it be forged into the chains that shall bind us.
these are just some things to think about--and by thinking we honor our forefathers and their intent for this nation in the grandest possible fashion.
of course, hayden panettiere at the capitol isn't too shabby, either.
yum.

5 comments:
It is interesting that the oath taken mentions only the defense of the Constitution (I guess most other things in need of defense would end up under the umbrella of the Constitution, but maybe not all-- I'll have to think about that). For review (at least for those of us of the non-squaline persuasion that may not already have every word memorized):
The Constitution:
http://www.archives.gov/national-archives-experience/charters/constitution_transcript.html
The Bill of Rights:
http://www.archives.gov/national-archives-experience/charters/bill_of_rights_transcript.html
Amendments 11-27:
http://www.archives.gov/national-archives-experience/charters/constitution_amendments_11-27.html
Perhaps more from me later...
Dude -- I know you're in the desert and all, but Hayden Panettiere is seventeen. Not even legal yet. She was born in 1989. What were you doing in 1989?
You need to take a cold shower or something.
Oh, and I totally agree with you on all that important stuff too.
"Not even legal yet," pertains, methinks, to the US.
Have at it, hoss.
In defense of the Professor Lieutenant, I come forward with the information that he did, in his heart, believe that Hayden Panettiere was no longer seventeen-- he had mentioned to me well before this post that she had celebrated her eighteenth birthday recently (at the time). Of course, that argument would probably not hold up in court, but could ameliorate judgment, as hopefully it does here.
Was it a case of being conveniently misinformed? The jury is still out...
Off-topic to be sure, but I thought of you when I saw this. Enjoy!
http://www.threepanelsoul.com/view.php?date=2007-03-06
Post a Comment