Vindicated; Still Poor.
in a previous post, My Dilemma: Balls Hot, or Boxers or Briefs: Extremities in Extremis, i made the claim that in the summer of 1997 i and my six fellows made male fashion history by starting a trend while hiking the appalachian trail that was to become a kilt revolution in the backpacking world, and which eventually trickled into the main stream. i am attaching an article from september second of this year that proves we--and most specifically i--are/am not a member of the lunatic fringe, so much as the lunatic pleated waistline.
please note the sentiments that almost exactly mirror mine own "vision of america without pants": each kilt is "designed on the premise that man is a prisoner in his own underwear," and at this specialty shop they sell not only cutting-edge couture, but also "freedom." indeed, these ideas were penned inside the trail logs for at least two shelters in the shenandoah valley that fateful, sweaty summer, and were likely reiterated several times thereafter throughout west virginia, maryland, delaware, and pennsylvania. the real catch stitch on this hemline, though, is the timeframe: the first utilikilt was crafted "out of an old pair of shorts in 2000," at the very peak of Freeballer excursions on the trail. coincidence?
hardly.

4 comments:
I've hiked in a kilt -- in the middle of winter no less, and found it quite comfortable. Though I must stipulate that I was in the UK, and the kilt was certainly not woodland camo.
I should also say that there is a PS1 at my command who hikes in an olive drab, rip-stop cotton utili-kilt. Wierd, but hey. to each his own. I think I'll stick with the tradtional 9-yard tartan wool for my kilted hill-walking...
Sadly, the article makes no mention of the malady regarding potential nether-regional tick bites. But: is the potential (even occasional?) tick bite enough to qualify this as perhaps an even more cutting edge and gratifying experience?
Tick-bites to the "nether regions" making for a gratifying experience? What kind of toxins are flowing through your lymph system, friend Adam?
Post a Comment